Welcome....

Friend John's hang out joint...

LINK

Myspace
Friend John @ Tumblr

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Music I Loved Before Indie: Banco de Gaia

I have a series of posts actually ready finally and am starting them off today with this episode. These are artists/bands that I liked before I got into independent music and influenced me at an early age musically. For each artist I have made a compilation of songs from their multiple albums.

Banco de Gaia



Banco de Gaia is the alias for Toby Marks, a British musician with a passion for ethnic percusion heavy music that tells stories of a world haunted by strife but also full of beauty. Beginning with the epic tale of the Chinese occupation of Tibet and the railroad China built through the ancient land in "Last Train to Lhasa," Marks has gone from telling ethnic stories of the past all the way to those of the technology on the rise during the end of the 20th century.

Without a single album that I do not enjoy by Marks, he is easily still one of my favorite musicians despite my change in musical taste. Discovering BdG in the 90's perhaps did the most to broaden my musical taste and allow me to develop as I have musically. The magical sounds of Banco de Gaia are indeed a treasure that everyone should have the opportunity to discover and enjoy.

Banco de Gaia Compilation:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C952SY6B

No comments: